Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

"Crack down on modified cars continues" Crime Call
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: "Crack down on modified cars continues" Crime Call
"Crack down on modified cars continues" Crime Call 9 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 328
Programme tonight on RTE one, should be very one sided I would think.

We need a lobby group to defend our right to enjoy our pasttimes or at least give us a voice in this assault on the motorist.

More bad news.

From the Indo

By Paul Melia

Tuesday April 26 2011

Hikes in motor tax, fuel costs and new motorway tolls are among a range of measures in the pipeline that will affect already hard-pressed motorists.

Drivers can expect to pay more to tax their car from early next year because of the impact that greener cars are having on the State's coffers.

A review of the motor tax system is expected to result in a new band for the most efficient cars, with increases across the board in the existing bands.

The hikes are expected to be announced in December and come as motorists face record petrol prices, the prospect of more motorway tolls and an increase in carbon tax.

The price of a litre of petrol, which is currently around €1.53, is expected to rise by at least 2pc when the carbon tax is increased in December from €15 per tonne to €25.

The Government is also considering a raft of motorway tolls to help generate new sources of revenue.

The review of motor tax rates comes after the introduction of a system in January 2009 -- for new cars only -- which rewarded drivers of more fuel-efficient and less-polluting vehicles.

Under the new system, instead of taxing new cars based on engine size, as is the case for those bought before July 2008, they are now charged between €104 and €2,100 a year on the basis of how much carbon dioxide they emit.

But the changes, along with a sharp drop in car sales, have resulted in the Exchequer taking a €650m hit. Figures from the Department of Finance show that, in 2008, the State took in over €1bn on vehicle registration tax charged on new cars. This has fallen to €380m.

Meanwhile, other motor tax payments amounted to €953m last year, a dip of €30m due to people switching to more efficient vehicles.

Motor tax is paid to local authorities to help run essential services and pay for road improvements. Unless the shortfall is made up, householders can expect to see a cut in services.

Officials are considering introducing a new 'lower' band to reward drivers of the most efficient cars, but a hike across all tax bands is also likely.

The Department of Finance has committed to reviewing and adjusting bands and plans before 2013, but sources said changes could be introduced in December's Budget. A spokesman for Environment Minister Phil Hogan said "all options" would be considered.

The Consumers' Association of Ireland said motorists were being unfairly targeted.

"The motorist is always a target," chief executive Dermott Jewell told the Irish Independent. "The roads are in a disastrous state, and what are we going to get for our money? The Government should put a ceiling on tax so where fuel is at €1.30 per litre or above, VAT would not be imposed, which would give some benefit."

The AA, meanwhile, said most countries had a 'polluter pays' motor tax regime, which was forcing manufacturers to make more efficient cars.
slipsliderg
"if it ain't broke don't fix it"
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
"Happier than a tornado in a trailer park"

"Just as in cuisine, the ‘flavor’ of a car is quite important…”
Hiromu Naruse 1943-2010 RIP
Comments? Suggestions? Register above to have your say!

Re: "Crack down on modified cars continues" Crime Call 9 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 62
It actually never ends. All thanks to the Green Party and their CO2 tax scam. Who's going to pay for their mistakes? Of course it's the people who can not afford to buy cars made in 2008 or newer. I feel like driving a cement mixer into the gates of Dail Eireann after reading that...that's about as militant as we get in this country.
corkmr2
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: "Crack down on modified cars continues" Crime Call 9 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 8
the next thing they will introduce is a tax on the air we breathe.. this place is pathetic..
corofin12345
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: "Crack down on modified cars continues" Crime Call 9 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 314
Crime Call - "Con Murphy and Anne Cassin appeal for help from the public in solving crimes"

Will they ask people to dob in their neighbour who they saw with a spanner in their hands?? WTF is this crackdown on modified cars?

If they mean crackdown on boy racers who go to organised street racing events ok maybe, but are we now all in for it at car's n coffee on a Sunday morning over a set of wheels and 'uprated' brake pads??
Quandry
Retro throwback
Administrator
graph
MR2 Drivers
Last Edit: 2011/04/26 15:40 By Quandry.
If you're suffering from lag, you're either in the wrong gear or the wrong car!

How to post pics!
Click for mk2 BGB

Re: "Crack down on modified cars continues" Crime Call 9 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 13
what i can't understand is how the irish where so militant in the past, yet we let our own give it to us up the kiber pass. we should be pulling up the pavements.
The best I have heard yet is they are trying to put a tv charge on computers.

The government is all over the shop.
The government told me my 91 mr2 with 180 thousand miles on her, and no nct. was worth over 4000 euro, and charged me 1.180 euro duty to bring in from uk.
four months later quinn insurance told me it was only worth 1000 euro.
my point they tell us any old crap and we say ok.
when I was told the vrt duty i was being charged I said to her . I see there is no shortage of the white stuff being sniffed at weekends in the revenue department.
dwdave
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
epic man

Re: "Crack down on modified cars continues" Crime Call 9 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 62
I don't think Irish people were ever really that militant I think that is just a myth that generations have been force fed, it was only ever a small band of people who stood up for what was right in this country, unfortunately even they seem to have dissapeared. We like to think of ourselves as rabble rousing warriers but the Irish are prob one of the most conservative, docile races on earth - Catholic church has alot to do with it. Anyway enough of my blabbering...
corkmr2
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: "Crack down on modified cars continues" Crime Call 9 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 32
its a complete joke im beginning to hate this country ya wouldnt mind as much if the roads were even decent i live in mayo and the roads are shit im basically destroying my car driving it .
spurs mr2
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: "Crack down on modified cars continues" Crime Call 9 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 148
I pretty much hate this fucking dump now. I would love to be in a position to pick up and pull out. Our gov have sank this ship and we are all left with our our buckets trying to bale out water faster than it is flooding in.

White collar rapists.

I will leave it at that or this will be a paragraph of nasty language.
SWAGGER
MK2-REV3-T-Bar-Turbo
Addict
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2011/04/26 20:04 By SWAGGER.
LOVE YOUR 2!

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Re: "Crack down on modified cars continues" Crime Call 9 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 154
OMG! There was a segment on this tonight on crime watch WTF?!
Rapists, muggers, burglers and men with loud exhausts?
They really need to catch themselves on.
Infamous
Petrol Head <(+_+)>
Addict
graphgraph

Re: "Crack down on modified cars continues" Crime Call 9 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 12
cork mr2 i want to agree with your docile race bit.

Ireland was one of wrost hit places with a recession! yet we are the only country not to have roited.

noone even complained publicly. everyone just put there head down and got on with it!!

we should be going crazy!!
MRob2
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Re: "Crack down on modified cars continues" Crime Call 9 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 148
Yeah you're right Rob, any other country takes to the streets and literally overthrows their tyrannous governments and pulls them out on to the streets. We just go "bunch of gobshites" and take out our wallets! I guess we are the gobshites for meekly bleeting our way through the turnstyles.

How many of you would genuinely send back a steak in a restaurant if it wasn't cooked the way you asked? Not too many I would say. Most of us just say "ah it's grand" and eat away but probably grumble under our breath.

In the States, if someone orders a meal and just doesn't like it, even it is perfect, they just wanted to try something new, they will ask for something else instead and they get it. They refuse to pay if the food is not up to scratch. We are nation of nodding dogs sometimes. I think we need to say no more often to being pushed around.

Motorists are being bullied because it is just too easy. Like shooting ducks in a barrel. They must sit back and think, "who's next? Pensioners or motorists?"

Every household should be sent a complimentary tub of vaseline.
SWAGGER
MK2-REV3-T-Bar-Turbo
Addict
graphgraph
LOVE YOUR 2!

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Re: "Crack down on modified cars continues" Crime Call 9 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 33
The goverment is laughing at us. They noticed that we only had a pieceful march to O'Connell st and then took out our wallets to pay for the mess we are in and said right lets see what we can get away with! Are freinds have bein taken care of and now we get the lemmins to pay for it all! HAHAHA More tax on everything!
Chas
Naturally asperated cruiser
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
Gender: Male charlierutledge4@gmail.com Location: Dublin Birthday: 12/08

Re: "Crack down on modified cars continues" Crime Call 9 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 12
articles.nydailynews.com/2011-02-23/news...e-papandreou-rioters

here is what the greeks did when they had to be bailed out by EU
MRob2
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Re: "Crack down on modified cars continues" Crime Call 9 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 152
that is just plain crazy
frank-the-tank
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: "Crack down on modified cars continues" Crime Call 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 213
Jesus - this country !!!!!

Customs held up my electric pump - fair enough. But, they send to Kilbarrack for Northside. And the only way to get it redirected is to send a cheque or postal order to the manager of the Kilbarrack Sorting Office !!!!

Is it still 1975 ? Was I dreaming or do we still not have credit or laser cards in this country ?

No - I just checked my wallet - I have both a credit card and a laser card. But, wait - maybe its pioneering technology to be able to take a payment over the phone ? or even over the World Wide Web ? Maybe An Post might make a research breakthrough and be the first post office in the civilised world to take phone/web payments ??

Sorry - not on topic of cars or govt - but just had to rant at the country in general !
Spidey
Administrator
graphgraph

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG
I promise, this is going to be my last mod ....

3S-GTE Power Primer !

Re: "Crack down on modified cars continues" Crime Call 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 328
Spidey wrote:

Customs held up my electric pump - fair enough. But, they send to Kilbarrack for Northside. And the only way to get it redirected is to send a cheque or postal order to the manager of the Kilbarrack Sorting Office !!!!

Is it still 1975 ? Was I dreaming or do we still not have credit or laser cards in this country ?

No - I just checked my wallet - I have both a credit card and a laser card. But, wait - maybe its pioneering technology to be able to take a payment over the phone ? or even over the World Wide Web ? Maybe An Post might make a research breakthrough and be the first post office in the civilised world to take phone/web payments ??

Sorry - not on topic of cars or govt - but just had to rant at the country in general !

Sorry but that is not part of my SOP, you will need to talk to the union on the use of modern technology.
slipsliderg
"if it ain't broke don't fix it"
graphgraph
"Happier than a tornado in a trailer park"

"Just as in cuisine, the ‘flavor’ of a car is quite important…”
Hiromu Naruse 1943-2010 RIP

Re: "Crack down on modified cars continues" Crime Call 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 314
Maybe once they receive your cheque and cash it, you'll get arrested by the gardai for 'intending to modify a vehicle'
Quandry
Retro throwback
Administrator
graph
MR2 Drivers
If you're suffering from lag, you're either in the wrong gear or the wrong car!

How to post pics!
Click for mk2 BGB

Re: "Crack down on modified cars continues" Crime Call 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 213
slipsliderg wrote:
Spidey wrote:

Sorry but that is not part of my SOP, you will need to talk to the union on the use of modern technology.

The problem is that I support the workers who need 12 years training and a 36% pay increase to use the new fangled technology. But Credit cards have been out for more than 12 years, so I thought they might have been trained up by now. I know they have received more than 36% pay increases over the last 12 years.

Maybe I am asking too much ?
Spidey
Administrator
graphgraph

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG
I promise, this is going to be my last mod ....

3S-GTE Power Primer !

Re: "Crack down on modified cars continues" Crime Call 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 13
it's a joke when I was told the price for duty on my mr2 in revenue office in tallaght. I took out my credit card oh no you have to go over to the post office and get a postal order then bring it back. ha ha . no techno people in revinue office, sure look what happened when Ireland tried e voting fkn gob shites. top of the morning to you. ha
dwdave
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
epic man

Re: "Crack down on modified cars continues" Crime 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 18
I hope ye are all finished your ranting?? lol

As I have a JapSpeed back box, i'm slightly concerned about how loud the Gardai rate my exhaust to the extent that they will TRY to pull me out of the vehicle and lock it up in a compound - so I did a bit sniffing around the NCT Regulations and it seems that any car fitted with an exhaust measuring less than 99 decibels is acceptable.

Taken from NCTS website:
www.ncts.ie/images/NCT_DL.jpg

Anyone got a sensor that measures decibels????
disco72
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1