Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: VRT
VRT 9 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 328
Anti-VRT campaigners have received a major boost after the European Commission moved against the Irish Government on the issue.

It follows a long campaign by Donegal-based activist Ryan Stewart.

The EC is now set to take the Irish Government to court claiming it is restricting people from moving across member states by applying strict VRT laws.

It follows a major petition by Mr Stewart on behalf of student from the south who are studying in the North from drive southern-registered cars because they cannot get tax there.

Campaigner Ryan Stewart said the Irish Government can now no longer ignore the issue.

"I am delighted that the EC have finally decided to move against the Irish government on Vehicle Registration Tax and how it has been illegally applied in the state. We have been trying to get the government to deal with the issues surrounding VRT for the past year.

“Our claims have largely been ignored by the last administration and the current government as well, so there has been no option but to lead the government by the nose to the European Courts.

“The government can no longer hide behind their claims that they are breaking no European laws, where a matter of national taxation is involved, because the solid case I have put forward involves an obstruction to free movement of persons across borders of member states."

VINDICATION

He added that this is a vindication of the effort put into the campaign.

“It is extremely rare that proceedings are initiated by the Commission against a member state, particularly from a petition from an individual, so it shows how seriously the EC are taking this.

“If the government were not listening before, they will now have no option, and this is only the tip of the iceberg for what is to come.

“The government had their opportunity to deal with the issues and did not take this on, choosing instead to allow the heavy handed enforcement tactics of Customs to continue in the pursuit of more and more money to pour into black holes and zombie banks."

"This is the first major blow for the government on VRT, and more will follow, so I am very confident that we will succeed and finish what we started last year,” he said.

WELCOME

The news has been welcomed by MEP Marian Harkin who paid tribute to Mr Stewart.

"I believe this decision by the European Commission is a just and fair decision as certain categories of persons are put in an impossible situation with their freedom of movement restricted by the current application of Vehicle Registration Tax law".

their car seized and even if their car is not seized they are still breaking the law.

“While this is not a general exemption it may be that it would apply to any person who is temporarily resident in Northern Ireland, for work or other purposes but who also travels to the Republic on a regular basis.

“There is no doubt but certain V.R.T. regulations in place discriminate against those living in border areas in particular and this case may solve some of those problems. Ryan Stewart has put forward a strong case, the Commission agree and we await outcomes, Marian Harkin concluded.

Just reading this stuff now, see the links below, this guy needs all the support we can give him in this campaign, 12K members of his facebook group already.

AbolishVRT.org

AbolishVRT.org Facebook

VRT is a unfair tax imposed in a dickensian fashion to fill the boots of the scared bonds market.
slipsliderg
"if it ain't broke don't fix it"
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
"Happier than a tornado in a trailer park"

"Just as in cuisine, the ‘flavor’ of a car is quite important…”
Hiromu Naruse 1943-2010 RIP
Comments? Suggestions? Register above to have your say!

Re: VRT 9 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 314
Another angle that they do not seem to cover is that VRT directly reduces consumer choice. There are car manufacturers that will not sell certain (sports) models in Ireland due to the 'extra' cost of the VRT artificially making their cars look like a rip off. eg. WRX and RX8

I will unashamedly admin that I LIKE SPORTS CARS - OR CARS WITH HIGH HORESPOWER. Probably by the time I get home I will have a bill in the post for a few grand for just admitting that I like something with a bit of get up and go - it's absurd.

In the end I believe in the 'free market economy' and I've signed the petition and sent it on to a few friends. KC for the Slipper man for bringing this valuable note on to the forum!
Quandry
Retro throwback
Administrator
graph
MR2 Drivers
Last Edit: 2011/07/01 11:26 By Quandry.
If you're suffering from lag, you're either in the wrong gear or the wrong car!

How to post pics!
Click for mk2 BGB

Re: VRT 9 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 137
I wonder if a ruling went against the Irish government, would they have to reimburse all the money people have paid for vrt over the years ?
Marty J
Addict
graphgraph

Re: VRT 9 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 154
You have more chance of winning the euro millions tonight than getting money back off the irish government. (its 150 mill tonight by the way)
This is a big issue for me personally as I live on a border and Im regularly between Derry and Donegal, Cheers for posting this up Slip. KC coming your way!
Infamous
Petrol Head <(+_+)>
Addict
graphgraph

Re: VRT 9 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 148
Signed the petition. Fingers crossed this is sorted but looking good. Fair play to that guy! I would love to see those bastards getting bitch slapped by the EU.
SWAGGER
MK2-REV3-T-Bar-Turbo
Addict
graphgraph
LOVE YOUR 2!

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Re: VRT 9 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 32
iv signed it as well hopefully something will be done about this!.when ya look at how much more we pay for cars and more often they are not even high as spec as other european countries so we pay more for less!
spurs mr2
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: VRT 9 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 59
Signed this a while back and been a member of that group for ages too. Fair play to the man. It's a big issue here in Donegal and it's about time the government are being called up on it.
dan
Hit it with a hammer
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
Gender: Male danielsheerin@hotmail.com Location: Letterkenny Birthday: 02/28

Re: VRT 9 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 13
I remember buying the wife a micra few years in the north of Ireland.I was outside the childrens school when a customs man was at my window flashing his badge. I told him I was on my way in to pay it, which I was. he asked me was I aware I can only drive it in the south for two days with no duty paid.I told him I had just arrived down with it the night before. it was like i had robbed a bank the way he was going on. Not to mention the vrt of over 1000 euro I had to pay for my 91 mr2 with nearly 200.000, miles on the clock.
dwdave
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
epic man

Re: VRT 9 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 38
about time.should be abolished altogether.i paid 2250 to vrt my 95 turbo wen i bought it bout 2 an a half years ago.i was sickened over it.they were valued at over 7000 at the time.then a few months after i changed it over i had a look at the vrt calculator again to check the price to vrt one and it was only 1150 and their value gone down to 3500!i was fuming so i wrote a letter to revenue to appeal it and the cheeky bastards said mine was worth 4000 just to squeeze a few quid out of me but i got 1000 back.
mr.2
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
If anyone has genuine border rear spats they want to sell please pm me

Re: VRT 9 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 314
Quandry
Retro throwback
Administrator
graph
MR2 Drivers
If you're suffering from lag, you're either in the wrong gear or the wrong car!

How to post pics!
Click for mk2 BGB

Go to topPage: 1