Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

advise on staggerd wheels needed!
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: advise on staggerd wheels needed!
advise on staggerd wheels needed! 12 Years, 7 Months ago  
hey, i've been hunting around for a while now ( not really Knowing what im looking at if im honest!) and i was wondering on the best fit for 17"s or 18" staggerd one of you guys has gotta know alot more than me and know what will fit best and look right

thanks Jon
sills577

Comments? Suggestions? Register above to have your say!

Re: advise on staggerd wheels needed! 12 Years, 7 Months ago  
18s aren't recommended for MR2s mate, not just for the decrease in handling, but clearance issues as well. Offset and the amount of lowering is important as well, and if that wasn't enough then you need to be careful with what suspension you are using.

Ideally you'll want 8" rears and 7" fronts with a close to standard offset as possible, however i think 8" looks a bit narrow if you are wanting the car to look aggressive. I was actually fitting my 9x17 rears tonight, i'm running them on 255 wide rubber with 30mm spacers and 25mm hub adaptors though! Wide arches of course!
pacman160778

yeah i was thinking 17"s to be honest just didn't know if 18"s would set better or not but obviously not , and for the first year of running the car i will be on a standard suspension setup anyway, plus the arches are not going to be wide on it so 17"s with 7" fronts and 8" rears sounds good to me cheers pacman always good to hear a bit of advise
sills577

Re: advise on staggerd wheels needed! 12 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 32
18s are fine on the Two as long as you learn their 'limitations'.

The negative thing about them are that they are very heavy so they increase your unsprung weight and therefore slow down your acceleration. This is much more noticable on an N/A than a Tubby. Secondly you need lower profile tyres ( 40 on the rear and 35 on the front without arch rolling)this makes your handling less predictable. The car will grip as well as any other Two on smaller rims, but it will then suddenly let go as there is very little tyre flex. You therefore need quicker reactions to counter this.

The plus siide is that the right wheels do look good. If its looks you want then go for 18s. If its all out handling then 15" or 16". 17" is a good compromise. Personally I prefer the 16" rims.

Finally dont beat yourself up looking for staggered rims. Although these are the best, you can mimmic their effect using spacers.
GWrinkle
Baked
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Kyle Bingham Location: Belfast Birthday: 06/28

yeah im think i'll go for 17"s tbh, its going to mainly be for show anyway soo... not a daily driver , and i was thinking about the whole spacer idea i was thinking mayb a 30mm spacer on the back on 7" wheel?
sills577

GWrinkle wrote:

Finally dont beat yourself up looking for staggered rims. Although these are the best, you can mimmic their effect using spacers.

lol, spacers won't allow you to fit a fat tyre on a skinny rim though
pacman160778

Re:advise on staggerd wheels needed! 12 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 32
Thats a good point Just make sure the rims are no less tha 7j to take standard 225 rear widths. If you want wider tyres then just go for the wider rims

From my own experiences based on a 25-30mm spring drop,rear 16"x8j rims, with the correct offset, will take 245/45 without any rubbing. 17" x 8j will take 245/40 and 18x 8j" will take 235/40. These are all the maximum width/profiles without the tyre beginning to scrub the arches (in my experience
GWrinkle
Baked
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Kyle Bingham Location: Belfast Birthday: 06/28

Re:advise on staggerd wheels needed! 12 Years, 7 Months ago  
yeah true... i can always change the rears if i don't like them anyway
sills577

Go to topPage: 1