Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Help needed replacing all locks
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Help needed replacing all locks
Help needed replacing all locks 8 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 3
About 4 months ago some scumbags tried to steal my 96 mr2 turbo. They took a golf club to the dash to get at the wires and failed miserably at hot wiring it. The next day I went down and the key won't turn in the ignition. After closer inspection I realised the inside of the ignition barrel was cracked due to the screwdriver that was rammed into it. So now I have a choice:

Go to Toyota and get a new ignition barrel fitted and everything repaired (does anybody have any clue how much an ignition barrel alone would cost?)

Or get a full set of locks off an mr2 being broke and replace every lock ( I have sourced a full lock set already and have a family friend that can fit them)

My question is if I fit a whole new lock set what difficulties will I face in regards to getting a key to work and if it's possible to save my central locking(my original key had a central locking button)?

I'm looking to do this as cheap as possible so I have also thought would I just be better buying a Clifford alarm?

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated!
en2siast
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2014/03/05 23:53 By en2siast.
Comments? Suggestions? Register above to have your say!

Re: Help needed replacing all locks 8 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 141
How about a passive keyless entry and car start system that does away with the ignition barrel, something like this.

Marty J
Addict
graphgraph

Re: Help needed replacing all locks 8 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 25
I have a full set of locks, ignition, both doors and boot, 2 keys and the transponder with it, removed from a Rev 3 breaker. PM me if you are interested.
weeJohn
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Help needed replacing all locks 8 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 3
Thanks for the video Marty, its an interesting option but i want to keep the car as stock as possible.

WeeJohn - thanks for the offer but i have already got a full lock set sorted. The only thing im missing is the transponder but i still may be able to get this from the donor car. I am an absolute novice when it comes to car electronics, i was hoping you could help me answer a few questions? I presume there is no way i can match the central locking on the new key to my transponder currently in my Mr2? Secondly where abouts in the car is the transponder and is it just a case of fitting the transponder that matches my new key and everything should work fine? I have sent a PM to Anto300zx to see if he can carry out the work on my 2 as so many people on here speak highly of him. My end goal is to have my car back in the exact same condition it was before the attempted robbery and to spend as little money as possible in the process. Any help is greatly appriciated!
en2siast
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Help needed replacing all locks 8 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 106
Correct me if I'm wrong but if it's a 96 turbo then it shouldn't have a transponder key - (hence why they were able to steal b4ss rev5 turbo) -

Probably just need to fit the locks - decent alarm or at the very least a kill switch for the fuelpump / starter.
eringobragh
Addict
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1