Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Strange AFR / Hesitation then POWER! - SOLVED!
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Strange AFR / Hesitation then POWER! - SOLVED!
Strange AFR / Hesitation then POWER! - SOLVED! 8 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 2
Hi guys. Im having my 3GEN 3SGTE do kinda stange things.

Example: When im driving down highway on fifth gear about 120km/h about 2500rpm
Im having AFR readings 14,7 - 15,00 Thats fine, but as soon as accelerate just a little "With the tip of my toes" I can feel the engine retard the timing and the AFR keeps in the 14,7 - 16,00 and the car hesitates.

This keeps happening until I hit 0,5bar (7,2psi) boost then POWEEEEEER!! and the AFR drops to 10,00-11,00

This does not happen if im doing WOT or 1/2 gas. AFR drops instantly to 12,00-13,00.
Hesitation only at light (1/4 pedal) acceleration.

Any idea what causes this?

Only mods I have done are increased boost to 1,0 bar (15psi) and changed fuel pump.
Solor
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2014/05/22 20:48 By Solor.Reason: SOLVED
Comments? Suggestions? Register above to have your say!

Re: Strange AFR under boost: Hesitation then POWER! 8 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 314
Are you on an aftermarket ECU?

I would start looking at simple things first, like check your leads, dizzy cap, plugs etc. Also look for boost/vacuum leaks. Have all of that 100% prior to looking at tuning issues.
Quandry
Retro throwback
Administrator
graph
MR2 Drivers
If you're suffering from lag, you're either in the wrong gear or the wrong car!

How to post pics!
Click for mk2 BGB

Re: Strange AFR under boost: Hesitation then POWER! 8 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 2
No Im running Stock ECU

I have replaced plugs, wires, rotor & cap, lambda, fuel and Air filter (K&N High flow cone)

I tried to adjust my TPS and check any exhaust / vacuum leaks and nothing

Only way the air is getting out of intakemanifold is by throught Idle control valve and back to the turbo intake pipe and I suppose that is normal?
Solor
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Strange AFR under boost: Hesitation then POWER! 8 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 19
I thing it could be either a fuel pump or fuel pump relay . not swiching to full power in time. I chanched my pump for wallbro for same reason and problem disapered but came back after one and a half year the same together with significant and noticeble noise from the pump it self.

No harm in checking fuel presure as well.
Fazzio
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2014/04/29 22:28 By Fazzio.

Re: Strange AFR under boost: Hesitation then POWER! 8 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 2
I actually changed my fuel pump already to some after market one (not walbro but some other similar) I will try to check my fuel pressure next thanks! =)
Solor
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Strange AFR under boost: Hesitation then POWER! 8 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 19
How is your afr sorted ? Just asking as i had similar problem after fitting afr gauge in 200sx. as i remember it was soldered in to a harness just after connector of lambda probe. There is very small voltage upto 1.3 v as i remember so any interference makes ecu go bananas. problem dissapears when you go above 3500rpm on boost as lambda readings is disregarded by ecu a that stage.

Any way my money goes on this:
Maf mr2-s -rev 1 and 2 can act up because of cone filter and blow off valve. check the second one for leaks or not closeing properly. it could be a issue that it stays open until larger boost has enough pressure to close it and power surges than. on rev3 that would delay boost. on rev 1 to 2 will make it go nuts as maf readings would be way off.
Fazzio
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Strange AFR under boost: Hesitation then POWER! 8 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 2
Fazzio you might be right!

My AFR replaces stock lambda and I had to leave the white and two black wires unconnected.
I just today redid my connection and there was a difference how the car acted, but it still didn't take away the hesitation under the boost.
I think Im gonna get a new lambda for me and do the AFR a standalone setup...
Solor
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Strange AFR under boost: Hesitation then POWER! 8 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 152
i had this happen to me. it's your wastegate. it's stuck. you have to port it out.
frank-the-tank
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

My wastegate is definetly not stuck. I can hear it open and the boost pressure is desired (15psi/1bar) Its my AFR that keeps being at the ~15 until suddenly about 3500rpm under boost it drops to ~10

Edit:
Anyway I got myself a new lambda and ordered a new downpipe at the same time. I have to try out these. Anyone can confirm that DENSO number DOX0217 is correct lambda for GEN3 3SGTE (year -94) ?
Solor
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2014/05/07 21:42 By Solor.

Okay this is getting interesting..

Today I did a recheck on my ignition timing and it was off I mean way off. With TE1 & E1 connected It was about 20° BTDC. So I adjusted it to 10° BTDC. I don't have a idea how it has gone there in the first place since I did check some time ago and It was correct that time...

EDIT:

Solved!

It was my knock sensor giving a false signal to ECU
Strange that it was not giving any fault codes...
Solor
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2014/05/22 20:51 By Solor.

Go to topPage: 1