Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Insurance in Ireland
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: Insurance in Ireland
Re:Insurance in Ireland 9 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 58
I was about to start a topic about insurance. I have my driving exam date booked for January and after that I would like to see if could get a decent quote for a MR2. But I see that according to the insurance companies I must drive a slow hatchback for years, before they decide if I can drive a MR2. It's insane how hard it is to get a fair quote for a MR2 when you are a young driver...I really don't know what to do to get back to the MR2 world.
RR87
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Comments? Suggestions? Register above to have your say!

Re:Insurance in Ireland 9 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 59
I got insured on my Deuce at the age of 19 with zero no claims bonus.

Have you tried Quinn?
ozzy1986
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Interesting...I actually didn't try Quinn but tried Aviva who wouldn't even give me a quote...Just so you know a quote for a 1999 Suzuki Alto was 1800 euros! Insane...so I didn't even dare to request one for a MR2.
Would you mind telling me more details about your MR2 and your quote? If you can share, let me know how much it was and what year was your MR2? is it a Turbo or NA?
Thanks,
Rafael
RR87
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Insurance in Ireland 9 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 24
well iv a 2.0 ltr straight n/a and i just got my renewal quote there for €1067 a year,

im 21 and have 4 years no claims bonus and have been wit quinn ever since i got on the road.

There good if u can negotiate wit them, wish i could be of more help let me know how you get on.
Danmr2
nothing like an mr2 experience :)
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
Gender: Male Danmr2 Location: Galway (clifden) Birthday: 03/14

Re:Insurance in Ireland 9 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 59
RR87 wrote:
Interesting...I actually didn't try Quinn but tried Aviva who wouldn't even give me a quote...Just so you know a quote for a 1999 Suzuki Alto was 1800 euros! Insane...so I didn't even dare to request one for a MR2.
Would you mind telling me more details about your MR2 and your quote? If you can share, let me know how much it was and what year was your MR2? is it a Turbo or NA?
Thanks,
Rafael

Bare in mind this was 4 years ago.

However they insured me for €1800 with zero no claims bonus and I had never had been insured before. I also only got my full license the same year.

It dropped €600 in the first year.

Give them a bell. Couldn't hurt.
ozzy1986
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Re:Insurance in Ireland 9 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 52
The only way to work with quinn is to transfer your policy,then argue the price.

21/Full 2 years/3 years driving exp/1 years NCB and I was paying €1480 TPFT 92 MR2 GT Tbar Turbo

Rang yesterday to transfer the policy over to the new runaround and it went up €12 a month for the last 7 months even though the new car is Front Wheel Drive/5 Seater/1600cc/Non Convertable/Front Engined and roughly 80FWHP less.

Thats what i get for buying a Honda lmao
dan_ep82
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Re:Insurance in Ireland 9 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 314
Hey Raf, nice Rev5 NA for sale at Jap Cars Dublin: www.japcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseac...arID=201036199457500

I know it's not turbo but would at least get you behind the wheel of a 2!!! hope you get some workable insurance quotes buddy.
Quandry
Retro throwback
Administrator
graph
MR2 Drivers
If you're suffering from lag, you're either in the wrong gear or the wrong car!

How to post pics!
Click for mk2 BGB

Re:Insurance in Ireland 9 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 284
RR87 wrote:
Thanks,
Rafael

In Ireland it is always going to be big money to get insured in your 1st car, my brother just got insured in a 99 colt for €2,800, he 21, but it drops significantly after the 1st yr of no claims, just dont do what i did and run into the back of someone after 5 weeks, wrote their car off and fixed my nissan sunny for €500, And dont forget an MR2 Turbo is classed as group 19 out of a possible 20!
dshamrock2000
graphgraph

Thanks everyone for the quick response.

Now if you got a quote of 1800 euros for a MR2 (MKII), it sounds fair for the first year. Now the one I got was for a slow 1.0 hatchback, which sounds very expensive. So if I call them and get a quote for only 1800 I wouldn't mind.

About that 1999 MR2, trust me I've been watching that car for a long time! Since I arrived in Ireland . I got really disappointed when I found out that I had to go through all the process to get my full Irish license, which has held me back. But I understand it's the Irish rules and since I moved here I have to follow them.

If I get a MR2 it would be basically a weekend car, the same way I had my previous one.

Again thanks everyone for the help and according to RSA my driving exam was rescheduled for mid Jan

Until then, I can only dream! haha
RR87
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2010/11/17 14:25 By RR87.

Re:Insurance in Ireland 9 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 314
I would really like to see you get an MR2 Raf as you've been so patient and faithfull!! you really deserve one!
Quandry
Retro throwback
Administrator
graph
MR2 Drivers
If you're suffering from lag, you're either in the wrong gear or the wrong car!

How to post pics!
Click for mk2 BGB

Thanks man, again the problem here is that I had to get my license again. Otherwise I would have at least bought a 91 N/A for 1k euros hehe. But I still have the provisional license.
You will all know when I get back to the club for good.
RR87
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Insurance in Ireland 9 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 328
RR87 wrote:
You will all know when I get back to the club for good.

Cool, looking forward to it Raf, KC for the great attitude.
slipsliderg
"if it ain't broke don't fix it"
graphgraph
"Happier than a tornado in a trailer park"

"Just as in cuisine, the ‘flavor’ of a car is quite important…”
Hiromu Naruse 1943-2010 RIP

Re:Insurance in Ireland 9 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 3
i started with quin 1800 first car prov licence 18 at the time.it was a friends 1 litre starlet kept it on it for a week then rang them to tell them bout my new purchase a glanza turbo they had heart failure but had to quote me anyway way 4600 which at the time i was happy with as my friends were paying give or take the same money for 1.3 corollas,corolla vans etc.if your starting out i reckon it dont matter what you have im now 23 full licence 4 yrs ncb i got insured with aviva on a 1.4 polo for a week of this insurance year for 600 then transfered to my 96 gts hardtop 1100 i was over the moon with that price try doing that with them.
chris-mr2
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Insurance in Ireland 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 58
Hey everyone, last week I passed the test and got my Full Irish license. I thought it would be the beginning of a new ERA!
Today I decided to call some insurance companies to have a clue on the prices, but it was very disappointing.
First I called Aviva and they won't even quote me for a 2.0 car, so the only thing close to a MR2 I could get a quote was a 1996 Mazda MX5 (Miata)with a 1.6 engine.
They will only give me this quote if I pass the ignition test or something like that. Anyway the price if I pass the test would be:
1518 (per year)

Then I decided to called Quinn and I asked them for a quote on a Mazda Miata and according to the seemingly confused agent they will only insure a Mazda Miata for drivers older than 30 years old!
Then I asked her, what would Quinn like me to drive then?
She gave me a quote for a VW Lupo of about 1720 euros...just insane!
I think it's funny when they say a Miata is a powerful car...
I will try calling other companies later and try my luck.
RR87
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2011/02/07 15:29 By RR87.

Re:Insurance in Ireland 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 137
From what I remember the miata uses the same engine as the Mazda 323F. I would not have thought they would be expensive to insure.

It can be very irritable to have to shop around all the insurance companies but it can pay off.

I remember phoning an insurance company and the first question I asked them was "do you insure the Toyota MR2 Turbo" to which she replied "yes we do, just answer a few questions".

After what seemed like the Spanish inquisition she said "your car is not on our database, we cannot give you a quote"
Marty J
Addict
graphgraph

Re:Insurance in Ireland 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 137
From what I remember the miata uses the same engine as the Mazda 323F. I would not have thought they would be expensive to insure.

It can be very irritable to have to shop around all the insurance companies but it can pay off.

I remember phoning an insurance company and the first question I asked them was "do you insure the Toyota MR2 Turbo ?" to which she replied "yes we do, just answer a few questions".

After what seemed like the Spanish inquisition she said "your car is not on our database, we cannot give you a quote"
Marty J
Addict
graphgraph

Re:Insurance in Ireland 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 14
hi Rafael,
congrats on passing the test. As for insurance I know the feeling ..been there done that .Try 123.ie I got insured with them last September for a quite decent price €900,I have an MR2 2000 1.8 zero no claims bonus and I had never had been insured before.u should give them a ring.good luck
B4DarK
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
“Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you, but not in one ahead.”

Re:Insurance in Ireland 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 58
Thanks guys for the response...I will try calling 123 and see what's their position about this. I will be trying for a Mazda Miata and a 1.8 MR2 MKIII, which was not on top of the list...but since they're mid engine, reliable, has newer technology than MKIIs and has the MR2 soul I would not mind owning one!
Thanks again everyone! I'm still learning the Irish way!
RR87
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 12