Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Not strictly an MR2, but...
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Not strictly an MR2, but...
Not strictly an MR2, but... 13 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 30
Well, since I started doing more miles at work as I've now moved 35 miles from Belfast I decided it was a requirement to have something a little more entertaining than the xantia TD estate as a daily driver - but still be reasonably economical.

I first of all looked on ebay for a Saab 95, then I looked to the large number of SORN'd crates in the yard, and decided I'd do something with BX 16 Valve number 4 (Of 4) - even though it has the best engine of the 4 (One is on throttle bodies, the other 2 are in various states of repair)

By chance on ebay I spotted a COMPLETE 406 3.0 24V V6 engine (As used in the clio V6) - with loom, ECU, manual gearbox, driveshafts, exhausts, even the front subframe - for £100 buy it now. So I couldnt resist that, and duly arranged to have it palletised and delivered home!

So I got it up on to the lift, undid all the necessary pipes, cables and mounts and pulled the engine out:

On the lift

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Last few of the D6C still at home

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Engine out and away

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

This is what I have to squeeze in

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Today we sized the engine up in the BX bay.

Looks like it isnt going to fit:

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

It seems miracles do happen! It fits! Pictured on the way out again (I have to change the timing belt, service it, change the clutch and put it back in this weekend)

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

There is a small bit of modifying to do to the slam panel to give a bit of clearance for the timing cover on the front bank of cylinder - and it is going to be an engine out job to do ANYTHING - even change the spark plugs on the back bank of cylinders by the looks of it - but it's going to be a fun daily driver, and should do 30mpg! It does around that in the xantia and 406 coupe - which are half a ton heavier.

It will tip the scales at around 1000KG, so I should get around 200bhp/ton, and more when I sort the management

I have to shorten the driveshafts slightly as well obviously. For the time being, until I get it through MOT I'm going to run the OEM ECU - but I'm going to run Emerald on it eventually in the coming months.

I also have to mount a xantia hydraulic pump somewhere, and work out where to mount the accumulator etc. Ill then have to custom make the exhaust. I'm going to go for twin exit, one pipe from each bank of cylinders for a nice sporty note :)
mark239
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2009/10/08 09:43 By mark239.
Comments? Suggestions? Register above to have your say!

Go to topPage: 1