Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: 3S-GZE
3S-GZE 11 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 328
To be honest I posted this up on octane first to seek information and the more I think about it the more it is going to be done, so here goes.

I collected a 3SGTE Toyota MR2 Rev II engine block and head recently, now I am sourcing parts to do a complete engine build which consists of the following.

Rev II engine block, considered the stronger of the engine block of 3SGTE range.

Rev III head, considered the best flowing head of the 3SGTE range.

A Camry 5SFE crankshaft, with some machining it will increase the 3SGTE displacement to 2200cc.

I then need to source an inlet manifold and exhaust manifold, I may get some custom items.

I will be running a standalone ECU.

Now here is the issue, this engine is destined for my Mrk 1 MR2 (currently 3.0 V6). I was aiming at getting a turbo kit for the car and all ancillaries to get it to run big power for a 2.2 Ltr engine and more importantly loads of torques.

However I want the Mrk I to be as drivable as possible so this level of power would be a complete waste and probably turn the car inside out when I hit the throttle first.

So I have now decided to aim for a different power figure circa 300 at the wheels, to achieve this I am considering a Rotrex centrifugal s/charger instead of a large turbo. Why you may ask, all I can say is why not.

Has anybody had any experience dealing with these units, got any stories to tell.

Does anybody have information or source that would give me details regarding how to deal with the boost when off throttle i.e. waste gate / dump valve or other something that I know nothing about.

How do you deal with idle air volume, will it just flow thru the charger without any impact.

Which form of measuring air volume, MAF / MAP etc. is best.

All advice / information would be acceptable.

So guys anybody got any useful information on a left field choice, other than am I off my nut.

And another bit of a post to explain my thinking a bit more.

Cheers for the comments guys, Not sure if this type of build was done before. Thats probably the reason I am trying it.

Cooling wise I am considering the standard air to air intercooler supplemented with WI to push the intake temps down further.

The 3SGTE runs about 8.5 compression ratios so pre ignition up to standard levels of boost for this engine are not to much of a concern. Hopefully this ratio will allow me push up the PSI in order to get the 300 ATW mark. The choice of compressor is the most important item and what I am willing to rev the engine out to (tune and cooling dependant).

Need to get a base mark on what boost levels achieve that power from a turbo and what ancillaries are used to get there. Subject to all that and getting my head around everything required and some schematics I would hope to start build up the engine later this year.

Yep its going to be an experience indeed, but I think the nature of the s/charger vs. the turbo might make it a more progressive car to drive than the normal turbo converted ones, time will tell.

Still need to work thru everthing to make sure this is the road I want to take.

Does anybody know if the 3SGE exhaust will fit the 3SGTE block.
slipsliderg
"if it ain't broke don't fix it"
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
"Happier than a tornado in a trailer park"

"Just as in cuisine, the ‘flavor’ of a car is quite important…”
Hiromu Naruse 1943-2010 RIP
Comments? Suggestions? Register above to have your say!

Re:3S-GZE 11 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 108
slipsliderg wrote:
Does anybody know if the 3SGE exhaust will fit the 3SGTE block.
No but it can be made fit you will need to make a pipe from the 3sgte down pipe to the 3sge rear box.
I think the n/a exhaust will be very restrictve for what you want Ray
ricky2
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

Re:3S-GZE 11 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 314
I love a good project

Take a read through this thread Ray if you haven't already: www.mr2.com/forums/beams-owners-group/To...26-supercharger.html

Another idea would be compound charging using a Rotrex + a Garrett. This would be filthy and insane though
Quandry
Retro throwback
Administrator
graph
MR2 Drivers
If you're suffering from lag, you're either in the wrong gear or the wrong car!

How to post pics!
Click for mk2 BGB

Re:3S-GZE 11 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 328
Cheers Quandry, I have read bits and pieces of his thread over the last while, I am going to have to read it from start to finish to get the full gist of it.

But my build or anybody's for that matter, could not live up to the quality work he does.

Twin charge would be quite a feet alright, but I think I will avoid that one for the minute, then again the engine crane will need to be put to use. Rotrex in and run for a while, get bored. Install forged pistons and rods a turbo and some piping and sure we are there, simple as that.

Been reading Terry Heich book every night for the last while, now is time to read it with a highlighter and mark all the things needed to be bought, borrow and begged for.

But need to finish the Mrk II first, respray and wheels, now repeat it ten time Ray don't get distracted by the flashy engine build.
slipsliderg
graphgraph

Re:3S-GZE 11 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 213
Apart from 300whp, I guess you're a TB member at heart and want something a bit different ? Because 300whp is very easy with a GT28RS and spool will apparently be as good as stock.

Anyway, best of luck with the GZE or whatever route you take.

There is also the supercharged 1MZ - won't get you to 300whp but the powerband will probably mean it will be as fast (usable) as a 300whp 3S option. Altough, you've already collected your 3S block, so 1MZ wouldn't make $$$ sense.

If I win the lotto this evening, I'll send your mk1 over to MR Woods to throw a 2GR in it
Spidey
Administrator
graphgraph

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG
I promise, this is going to be my last mod ....

3S-GTE Power Primer !

Re:3S-GZE 11 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 328
Spidey wrote:
Apart from 300whp, I guess you're a TB member at heart and want something a bit different ? Because 300whp is very easy with a GT28RS and spool will apparently be as good as stock.

There is also the supercharged 1MZ - won't get you to 300whp but the powerband will probably mean it will be as fast (usable) as a 300whp 3S option. Altough, you've already collected your 3S block, so 1MZ wouldn't make $$$ sense.

If I win the lotto this evening, I'll send your mk1 over to MR Woods to throw a 2GR in it

I think I will save the 2GR for a Mrk III.

2GR Mrk III
slipsliderg
graphgraph

Re:3S-GZE 11 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 213
slipsliderg wrote:
Spidey wrote:

I think I will save the 2GR for a Mrk III.

2GR Mrk III

And then your family of the 3 generations will be complete
Spidey
Administrator
graphgraph

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG
I promise, this is going to be my last mod ....

3S-GTE Power Primer !

Go to topPage: 1